Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week One


Sundays = Rest Days

I decided I would also make them weigh-in days, and as I'll spare the numbers, I'm gonna go ahead and post a weekly photo to keep track of some weight loss progress (hopeful!)

 Monday

For our 3 miles, we took it to the Seminole Wekiva Trail on a hot (91F) afternoon.  Some neat discoveries were made, including these:
Some research proved them to be "Beautyberries."  Pretty cool, right? Apparently squirrels love them. We also spotted a large gopher tortoise which was, believe it or not, moving too quickly for us to get a picture.

Before our first official training run. :)

  
And after! 



Tuesday

Today I was prepared to hop out of bed when Tom got up at 5am, down a cup of coffee, jump into my running clothes, and whisk my sleeping child off to Lake Baldwin! When it was all said and done, we started our 5 mile pace run at about 6:45 am, just as the sun was starting to sneak up.
Do you see the plane up there? Jackson LOVES watching the airplanes here.

 

 
We did it- 5 miles!!  Then Jackson enjoyed a whole wheat banana pancake on the shore in the beautiful Fleet Peeples Dog Park.  It was a beautiful run in the low 70's.  I didn't average my goal of 10 min/ mi, but ran about 11:29, which I was happy with since I was pushing the jogger.  We saw SO many other runners and cyclists out. It's a nice 2.5 mile loop. I did find it tricky deciding if I should greet every person I saw, knowing that many of them I probably had already previously greeted on our first time around..hehe. :-x Oh well, when you pass these two, you're gonna get a friendly "Good morning!" maybe even twice.

Wednesday

We knew the clouds were moving in, but we had to do it. 1- because it's in the plan, 2- because I couldn't justify eating some Publix Premium Chocolate Cookie Quarry frozen yogurt if I didn't run first. :-o  So we went for it. Tom had his radar going and changed plans to try and avoid the rain and we started here:
That's right. A cemetery at sunset.  Unfortunately, there wasn't enough trail in there to cover our needed 3 miles, so we took it to the streets. Unfortunately also, just shy of a mile into our run, the rain hit us, and it hit us hard.  We practically swam our way back to the car. We did finish our run, and I actually enjoyed the change of scenery- running alongside a semi-busy road, at night time, in the pouring rain.  We've never run in rain this heavy. Seriously could have used a pair of goggles!
Drenched on the outside, now to hydrate the insides!
Thursdays = Rest Days

Fridays: Long Runs

Here we go. We knew it would come- our first long run.  We decided to change our training plan from Novice 1 to Novice 2, which meant a difference of 2 miles today.  8 miles- is this crazy? It had been a lonnng time since I ran this distance, but hey, mind over matter, right?  That's what running's all about!  So, no questions asked, we just did it.  
Ready, Set, Run!

We had to dodge these locust things for about our second half-mile stretch.. Yeah, I could have done without seeing them, too. :P
Whoops, better turn around!


WE DID IT!!! :D
Some highlights from this run- 1. WATER! I'm glad we brought plenty.  That's what's nice about pushing a jogger around, plenty of storage space for things like bottled water, books and toys to entertain Jackson if he gets bored, etc. 2. GUMMY BEARS! Yeah, that's right. I gobbled up three of those bad boys while running through an intersection with about 2 miles left to go and boy were they a pick-me-up! Wow, they tasted so good.  Mile 7 was a real goofy one for me. I don't know what happened, but I was so giddy. Maybe it just took me that long to realize, "Hey, I GOT this!!" I love that point in a long run when you can just joke around with your running buddies and not feel like you're jeopardizing your run. :) 

Afterwards, in our sweat-drenched clothes, we hit up our favorite local pizza joint- Julia's, where we knew it was not likely to be too crowded, and it wouldn't be too cold since they don't usually have an AC on. Nothing like rewarding an hour and a half + cardio workout with a good meal and great company!

Saturdays = Cross Train Days

Usually, this will mean an hour of walking for us, just cause it works out best. We have other options like swimming or doing some gym machines, but honestly, I can't swim for an hour, and I certainly don't want to be stuck on a cardio machine inside the gym for an hour of my Saturday.

This afternoon we headed out to New Smyrna Beach.  Wow- what a gorgeous day it was!  We started by packing Jack up in the jogger and walking briskly down the beach for a half hour, turning around for the half hour back, completing over 3 miles-- then it was time to swim! 

Jackson could not wait to get out and explore. The beach is one of his favorite things, along with cars and airplanes. Today he had a bonus- an airplane flying close to the beach with a "Thank you for marrying me" banner.  We assumed it had something to do with the wedding we passed! Congrats, April & Rich, whoever you are, and best wishes for your future!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment